Last updated on August 20th, 2021
Some people appreciate the sound quality of a speaker when they are listening to something. If you think you are one of them, then bookshelf speakers can really help you to have an amazing home audio experience. It will give you a full, well-rounded sound for TVs, movies, or music. In this article, we will talk about some best bookshelf speakers under $1000. As you might guess, good-quality speakers can be very expensive. Also, if your budget is really low, then you have to settle for low-quality speakers. Now, you think that it’s not possible to get a good quality speaker within your budget because your budget is less than $1000.
However, that’s not true. You can get a bookshelf speaker which produces more high-quality sound than you expect and you can get this at an affordable price. For this, you have to do some research about the bookshelf speakers and their features and specifications. You have to consider the features and specifications of the specific bookshelf speaker to see if it meets your needs. Well, to help you with that, we have searched online and found some bookshelf speakers which are cheap yet can produce good quality sound. Read this article thoroughly, and you will find your desired bookshelf speaker under your budget.
Things you should consider before buying a Bookshelf Speaker Under $1000
- Impedance – Every speaker has an electrical characteristic called impedance. It is measured in terms of ohms. Your amplifier constantly sends electric signals to your speaker. And, impedance is something that sends resistance to that electric signal from your speaker. While it seems that the resistance doesn’t matter but, in reality, it plays a vital role in sound quality. The amplifier needs to see some resistance, otherwise, it will keep pumping out power until it burns out. Most speakers run well with 8 ohms load. You will run into trouble if you buy some speaker that doesn’t run on 8 ohms load. Some speakers run on 2 ohms or 4 ohms load. So you have to avoid those speakers when buying. If you buy a speaker that has 4 ohms load, you will need some serious amplification to run your speaker healthy. On the other hand, if you buy a 6-ohm speaker, it will need some more power to play loud and healthy. You will get a lot of 8-ohm speakers under $1000.
- Power of the amplifier – Like I said earlier that if you buy a 4-ohm or 6-ohm speaker, you will have to have a powerful amplifier. If you want your speaker sound healthy, then It’s most needed. The natural question is how much power your amplifier should have. Some people are impressed by the answer that a 100-watt amplifier is good enough for your speaker. Well, the good news is an over-powerful amplifier will not do damage to your speaker. So don’t stress yourself on that. Again, you only need a powerful amplifier if you are using a 4-ohm or 6-ohm speaker. If you have an 8-ohm speaker, it doesn’t matter whether you have a powerful amplifier or not.
- Sensitivity – Another important thing you should consider looking at specifications while buying a Bookshelf speaker is sensitivity. It is something that refers to how loud a speaker can play per watt. Speakers with low sensitivity will fail to play louder. If you have a low sensitivity speaker then you must need more power to get them play loud. Also, if you have a high-sensitivity speaker it will do the same, will not be able to play loud. So while you are buying a speaker make sure it’s sensitivity range is good enough. The sensitivity rating of 80dB to 88dB per watt is on the lower end of the spectrum while 89dB to 100dB per watt is on the higher end of the spectrum.
Now that, we know what things to consider before buying an amazing speaker, let’s go through the Best Bookshelf Speakers under $1000 that we have hand-picked for you.
By Definitive Technology
- A proprietary 6.5” BDSS(Balanced Double Surround System) driver
- 1” Aluminum Dome Tweeter With 20/20 Wave alignment Lens
- Integrated 6 x 10-inch oval passive bass radiator in each speaker
- Futuristic, Clean, Modern Industrial Design
- Crystal clear audio
Definitive Technology is so far the best in the business of making Bookshelf speakers. This specific D11 is an amazing speaker. This model has a BDSS midrange/woofer. It is actually a loudspeaker driver that provides greater excursion. The sound reproduced by this is in the frequency range from 250 Hz to 2500 Hz. BDSS surrounds support the cone at two points, and this is how it provides better mechanical stability for more linear excursion, longer and improved damping to suppress parasitic cone resonance. The result is accurate, clear, and detailed sound. The 1” Aluminum Dome Tweeter with 20/20 wave alignment lens works for the improvement of the dispersion for a balanced and rich listening experience. This also works to get a smooth high-frequency response.
Integrated 6 x 10-inch oval passive bass radiator produces superior low-end extension. For deep, tight, and clean bass responses, it increases linearity. The D11 has a linear response waveguide. Both on and off axes frequency response gets extended by this. It improves dispersion for more precise imaging and for more and more natural mid-range timbre. This speaker has a futuristic, clean, and modern design and a look that fits any decor. For a crystal clear listening experience, an annealed aluminum dome tweeter works pretty well. Each cabinet is painted with five layers of premium black gloss paint. The cabinets are also hand-crafted. This D11 speaker has optional ST1 speaker stands. Using this, you can elevate the speaker to a certain height(maximum 32”) which should be your ideal listening height.
The speaker is very well built. It has high-quality construction. This is a very full-sounding speaker that has astonishing deep bass. The sound of this speaker is warm, natural, non-fatiguing, and precise treble. Comparing to other speakers, the D11 is more detailed, and the soundstage is spread out wider. You can feel that the sound is very neutral, and it does not color the sound with its own personality. It just allows the true voice to come through. These speakers have no rear port so that if you want you can place them close to the wall. You are really going to be so impressed that the D11 sounds as good as the most expensive Bookshelf Speakers do.
- What Hi-Fi award winner for Best Active Speaker in 2017
- Can play anything via Bluetooth from compatible devices
- Remote control and touch-sensitive buttons
- 28mm tweeter and 14cm mid/bass driver which sit in a solid aluminum baffle
- Dual 65W amplifiers
Dynaudio Xeo 2 is the winner of what Hi-Fi award 2017 for best active speaker. Since this is an award-winning bookshelf speaker, you might guess how cool this speaker is. This speaker can play anything via Bluetooth from any compatible device. It also has onboard physical inputs, namely digital optical, analog 3.5mm minijack, and analog RCA stereo. The digital optical can handle 24-bit/192kHz high-resolution files. The speaker produces incredible sound. You can control this speaker through supplied remote control. This specific model has touch-sensitive buttons on top of the cabinets. You can use them to control the speaker as well. For true Bi-amp sound, this has dual 65-watt amplifiers.
Dynaudio Xeo 2’s are built by a Danish manufacturer. In the wireless speaker industry, they have made quite a name for themselves so quickly. A high-fidelity streaming experience is what you can get from Dynaudio. They promised to do so. Not many Bluetooth speaker companies provide this in terms of quality. Anyway, the cabinets of this speaker are formed from a kneaded composite with a solid aluminum baffle. There is a 14cm mid/bass driver in this speaker which is ultra-rigid and durable. This is paired with a 28mm tweeter. The tweeter is a high-performance one. And, all these are harbored in the cabinets. There is a fairly typical array. The pair truly shines in digital signal processing. To improve crossover fluidity and to extend lower frequency response, they utilize power optimization, adaptive bass technologies, and true-time coherent phase linear FIR filters.
The sound quality of Dynaudio Xeo 2 is awesome. It’s easy to set up for the people who are not really good at such things. It comes in a satin black color. If you need this speaker for a TV or a projector, you can use the optical outlet it provides. You can plug in your turntable and Alexa if you want. The speaker supports both. Sometimes the Bluetooth seems to fail to connect. Like, if you are on your phone, you need to go to Bluetooth settings, you have to press the button on the speaker control, and then you have to connect on the phone again. This is pretty annoying when you are ready to listen to something interesting and relax, and this happens. The speaker is potential for multi-room setup, but for that, you will need to have other expensive components. Though it has some disadvantages, still I want to say that you would have to spend some thousands more to get a better all-around performance that this speaker provides. Also, the customer support from Dynaudio is absolutely top-notch.
- Sold in pairs, 28mm diameter soft dome tweeter, and 14cm diameter MSP mid/bass driver
- 86dB LEC Long Term Power Handling sensitivity
- Impedance 6 ohms
- 50Hz – 23kHz Frequency Response
This is another great bookshelf speaker from Dynaudio. They are selling these speakers in pairs. The speaker offers Dynaudio’s authenticate technology. This also offers a performance which is great at this price. Nowadays, people know the importance of great speakers as they know the true taste of rich sound. This is where Dynaudio’s emit M10 meets the need of the people. He who used Dynaudio Emit M10 became satisfied. From the Emit series of Dynaudio, this speaker is the smallest and the most compact. These speakers were a hit among the people when they first came out. Still a favorite though. The design of this speaker is sleek and classy. For a more pronounced experience, these can be used in addition to a home theatre and also can be used alone.
Emit M10 has 28mm dome tweeter and a 14cm mid/bass driver which is made of Magnesium Silicate Polymer. Both are durable. The tweeter and mid/bass are tuned together to give their maximum. No matter what the size of the room, these two components work together effortlessly to reproduce rich, deep, and balanced sound that is capable of entertaining the whole room. These speakers are wired as most of the speakers are. The significant parts of the speakers are enclosed in the small cabinets. The cabinets are sturdy and well-constructed. These can last a lifetime. There can be no sound leakage because the ports are positioned accurately. These speakers have an impedance of 6 ohms and a sensitivity of 86dB. The bass of these speakers is low, but it is deep to give the desired effect. The frequency response is 50Hz – 23KHz. So even at a low or moderate volume, the sound quality is exceptional and remains classic.
To repair any mishaps, the speakers have five years of manufacturer warranty. The speaker doesn’t really need expensive amplification a cheap integrated amp is okay. The treble driver of this speaker is a masterpiece. The sound stage of the speaker is deep, wide, and tall. You could say that this is the greatest quality of this speaker. It works with a lowered powered amp which makes the sound energetic and more lively but somewhat thin. If it gets 80+ watts, it can sound deep and full without losing much agility. The speaker doesn’t support Bluetooth and is manually wired. This is not really a speaker for playing high-energy rock music.
- Flawless tonal balance, unveiled highs, amazing low-frequency extension, and stunning dynamics.
- 6.5 inch mid-bass Drivers.
- Composite glass fiber cones.
- 1-inch rigid aluminum dome tweeter.
- A proprietary SVS SoundMatch 2-way crossover which is enhanced by expertly refined topology.
SVS Ultra is one of the best Bookshelf speakers you would find out in the market. These speakers have a flawless tonal balance. The tonal balance opens up to reveal the speaker’s stunning dynamics. The speaker also has an amazing low-frequency extension. This low-frequency extension keeps the bass from becoming distorted or muddy. The construction of these speakers is very sturdy. You can see the hard and sharp edges of the speaker’s body and know how sturdy it is. The speakers are made of wooden black boxes. The wooden black boxes maintain their durability and aesthetics. You could say that durability is the most important feature of these speakers. And, the company promised to maintain that. Therefore, the parts installed inside the sturdy black wooden box are safe.
When it comes to producing authentic and powerful speakers, you could say SVS is a renown and well-established company for that. This specific model is one of their great speakers. There are 6.5-inch mid-bass drivers in this model. These bass drivers are authentic and of premium quality. For these, the bass, tone, and frequency of the sound stay unmatchable, which helps to get better quality of sound. There is also a 1-inch aluminum tweeter dome which is rigid, light, and efficient. At high volumes, the speaker plays a crystal clear sound. The composite glass-fiber cones are attached in the back to the driver. This is one hundred percent receptive to the vibrations. It can produce sound with stunning precision. The speaker has a proprietary SVS SoundMatch 2-way crossover which is enhanced by expertly refined topology. SVS Ultra ensures a perfect frequency response. It also ensures smooth transitions between drivers. It allows for perfect pinpoint imaging and phase coherency.
The SVS Ultra model has a classy outlook that has been trendy throughout the years. The speaker has an amazing sound stage. You won’t need a subwoofer with proper placement in a small room because these speakers reproduce every sound very clear. The speaker sounds more like a full-size floor-standing speaker than a bookshelf speaker. Also, these are very heavy. So you might want to think about that before you put them on your desk. These speakers are very power-hungry. Sadly, these do not support Bluetooth.
Manufactured By Audioengine
- 100+ Foot Range of Powered Bluetooth Speakers with DAC.
- Subwoofer output, RCA and 3.5mm inputs.
- Built-in power amps, no network setup and no passwords needed.
- Works with almost every device with 1/8” mini-jack or RCA outputs.
Nowadays, many people want to have a wireless connection with their speakers because they want flexibility and mobility while they are listening to their speakers. Before making the Audioengine A5+ speaker, this was the main thing in the company’s mind. So they made these wireless speakers which are extremely useful. The users are never going to get disappointed as they know the dedication and value of hard work behind making these speakers give them what they wanted. The speakers have high-fidelity premium Bluetooth aptX-HD. The Bluetooth has extended the wireless range of more than a hundred feet. A 24-bit DAC is included. If you have a low-quality sound card on your phone or laptop, this DAC can bypass that and delivers premium quality sound. The reproduction quality of the sound of this speaker is remarkable.
It has subwoofer output, RCA, and 3.5mm inputs. It also has silk tweeters and custom aramid fiber woofers. These small speakers produce a big sound that can fill any size of the room. These have built-in power amps which are wrapped in hand-built wood cabinets. You don’t need any network setup and no passwords, so, basically no hassle. The construction of these wood cabinets is very sturdy. It works with external or built-in preamps. You will get a 1/8” mini-jack or RCA output. With that, you can connect this speaker to your laptop, phones, CD and DVD players, notebooks, video game consoles, TVs with analog output, and many more. It comes with a solid aluminum remote control. It has gold-plated connectors. Astonishingly you will get a 3-year transferable warranty on every purchase.
Audioengine A5+ is a fantastic speaker. It sounds rich, full, and smooth. On the back, there is a USB charging port which supplies power to source devices. The ports of the speakers are on the back so you can not place these up against the wall. You have to place them a little away from the wall. If you are planning to buy these speakers for your personal computer, then you should pay attention to the actual size of the speakers. These are much bigger than the front-facing speakers that people put on their desks. Overall for a cheap speaker, you will get a lot more than you think.
Manufactured By Elac
- Custom-made Concentric Driver.
- Sophisticated Aluminum Woofer and Crossover.
- Balanced 3-way design.
- Custom-designed Binding Posts.
People nowadays are very skeptical about the quality of bookshelf speakers as the companies are decreasing the size and making them more compact for easy placement. With Elac Uni-fi UB5, you don’t have to worry about this. Elac worked hard to create a beautiful, slim speaker that has much more quality than the regular-sized speakers. Elac Uni-fi UB5 has a custom-designed concentric driver. The driver includes a 1-inch soft dome tweeter and a rigid aluminum 4-inch midrange cone. These two come together with a perfect sonic symphony. The construction of the cabinets is sturdy and tough. The speaker is wrapped with wood veneers that have furniture polish. You should keep in mind that the cabinet of a speaker is the most important thing to consider while buying a speaker. Because the cabinets enclose the crucial parts of a speaker. Also, the driver plays a vital role in producing a good quality sound. Elac gave importance to that and so, made it custom designed.
Elac Uni-fi UM5 has a sophisticated aluminum woofer that favors flat frequency response, deep vocals, and dynamic voice quality. It does not matter what size of the room, you have, it is going to engulf the whole room with a rich and deep sound. These speakers have a balanced 3-way design. And as you know, a balanced 3-way speaker has many advantages. In this design, you can assign the drivers in mid-frequency, high frequency, and base frequency, which will produce amazing sound. These speakers also have custom-designed binding posts. The binding posts provide the flexibility of the wire connections of the speaker. From speaker cable to the speaker itself, it ensures optical electron transfer. The sound quality of these speakers is very clean and crisp. You will get accurate frequencies of sound, which is one of the most favorites of the users.
The sound stage of this speaker is excellent. These speakers will do much better if you provide more powerful amps. These speakers play a clear and excellent midrange. For folk, jazz, acoustic, and chamber music, these are absolutely perfect. There are some things that these speakers can reproduce while the other speakers can not. With this, you can hear the faintest bongo or the slightest touch of a symbol. It can reproduce instruments, voices with incredible accuracy. When the complexity of the music increases, the Elac starts to show stress. The sound of these speakers gets underwhelming if you don’t put them at least 1ft away from the wall. These speakers are not crowd-pleasing.
Manufactured By Edifier
- Wireless Left and Right Speakers with high-quality streaming and easy connectivity
- 6.5-inch Aluminum Alloy Diaphragm Bass Unit and Planar Silk diaphragm Tweeters
- Lossless audio quality up to 100 meters
- Bluetooth 5.0 w/aptX HD, KleerNet Wireless Technology
Edifier S3000Pro is an impressive bookshelf speaker from Edifier. This specific model has wireless left and right speakers, which create a more pleasing and excellent sound. You will find a 6.5-inch aluminum alloy diaphragm bass unit in this speaker. Even at high output volumes, this bass unit provides flex less piston action. You can enjoy mids and lows too as this unit delivers more precise and clearer sound. The speaker has Bluetooth 5.0 support and certified high-resolution audio. This is perfect for industry professionals and artists. For more listening options, you can use dual device connectivity. With this, you will get a lossless audio quality of up to 100 meters. It has dark wood paneling painted with Matte black paint which looks classic like old-world design. The speaker can sit perfectly in any environment.
These speakers have RCA inputs. You can use RCA inputs for RCA to AUX connections. Through optical or coaxial connection, you can experience high-quality audio. The speaker also has XLR inputs that allow you to connect the speaker to a mixer. You will get a wireless remote control so that you can control your audio from anywhere inside the room. On the speaker system, it has treble, volume controls, and adjustable bass. It has planar silk diaphragm tweeters. These tweeters provide a sound response for delicate and more detailed sounding highs. These planar ribbon tweeters offer consistent sound from room to room. If you are listening to a nuanced recording, you will enjoy a brighter and airier sound. With this speaker, you will experience new sensations while playing movies or your favorite songs.
One thing is for sure, this speaker will certainly exceed your expectations. You will find this easy to set up. You will be very impressed. The connectivity options are great in these speakers. The base and high-end sound quality are crisp, clear, and clean. The mid-range is also remarkable. If you use stands for this speaker, it will sound awesome. Put the speaker on the floor and put your head on the floor while playing the speaker, then you will understand why this speaker need stands. It has a fantastic build quality. For some devices, the speaker has some issues with Bluetooth connectivity. One of them is Amazon Echo. It has a tiny display.
Manufactured By Audioengine
- Built-in Analog Power Amplifiers
- aptX HD Bluetooth with 100ft. Range and 24-bit DAC
- Optical Audio Input, Subwoofer Connection, Solid Metal Remote Control
- With ⅛” mini-jack or RCA Outputs works with all music players
Audioengine HD6 is one of the prettiest speakers in the world. Audioengine is a renowned company for making great speakers. They have been in the industry for the last 10 years and trying to make a change in the speaker world. This specific HD6 design complements any of your furniture no matter where you put it. These speakers have smooth magnetic grills and wooden veneers which look very charming. The HD6 is compatible with any device. This is perfect for TV sound. Using ⅛” mini-jack or RCA outputs, the speaker works with all the music players and apps. This thing does not require any network setup or passwords. It works with turntables with external or built-in preamps. It has built-in analog power amplifiers that bring you incredible sound.
The Audioengine HD6 has aptX HD Bluetooth codec and 24-bit DAC. Both of these together can bypass the low sound card of your phone or laptop. The Bluetooth codec has 100ft of range. The speaker delivers premium sound quality up to that range. With this, you will get an aluminum-cased remote control so that you can control your audio options in the range of 100ft. These speakers are long-lasting. People who are using these do not feel any problem in the long run.
These speakers work great playing at the low-end. The high and mid ends are excellent in playing video games. Always plays a natural sound. You can use the included cable, which is of good quality. The bass is deep, solid, and taut. You can connect these speakers to your TV via optical input, but you have to keep in mind that these speakers do not interpret Dolby digital signals. They can only interpret PCM signals. When receiving multiple audio signals, these speakers have a priority list. They give priority to Bluetooth over optical signals. You can play your TV with this and also can connect your phone at the same time. The TV will keep playing, and the phone will be silent. But if the phone starts playing something, then the speaker will play from the phone and automatically mute the TV. Some customers think if the speakers came with a stand that would be better.
Manufactured By KEF
- Newest Version of KEF Award-Winning Q Series
- Improved 6.5” Uni-Q driver Array
- Improved Audio clarity
- Sleek and Modern Design
For its outstanding quality, KEF Q Series has won awards in the past. This one is the revised version of the previous one. They have redesigned the cabinets. The construction of this speaker is sturdy. This has sleek new finishes. The construction is aesthetically pleasing. To smooth out treble frequencies, they also enhanced the Q-driver array. The Q-driver array reimagines the crossovers. As a result, it provides more accurate and cleaner bass. The bass production can fill a room with complex and deep sound.
The KEF Q350 has a modern and sleek design. Even sleeker than prior versions. It has a contemporary matte finish which gives the speaker an elegant look. The speakers are available in two finishes, black and white.
The sound of this speaker is so detailed that a good movie will seem to extend beyond the speaker. Because of this detailed sound, you will perceive a good 3D movie vividly. If you buy a 650 center speaker, then together, these two can create perfect harmony. Put these speakers on stands, and you will hear a better sound than before. For better performance, you have to put them at least 1ft away from the wall. This is absolutely an impressive choice for your home theatre.
Maintenance of Your Bookshelf Speakers
If you’ve been using speakers for a long time, you should already have realized how important it is to maintain your speakers. After buying a speaker of your choice, you get it home, listen to it, and you are very happy. But remember if you want to keep your speaker healthy for a long time, you have to maintain it regularly. As you know, bookshelf speakers are very sensitive appliances, so you have to concentrate on taking care of them on a daily basis. You have a low budget but, still, you managed to buy an amazing speaker, you surely don’t want them to get spoiled in just a few months. Hence, it needs proper maintenance. You certainly don’t want to run to a technician every time the speaker gets some minor faults, right? If you do the right thing, it will get no minor faults. Let’s see how you can keep your bookshelf speakers healthy for a long time.
- Choose a dust-free location to keep them – You probably know that dust is one of the most common causes that do damage to the life of an electronic appliance. Since Bookshelf Speakers are the sensitive ones, so they have a greater risk to be damaged due to dust. But the problem is it is really difficult to keep the speakers away from dust. Dust can really cause major damage to the complete system of your speakers. So find a location in your room where dust won’t be that much of a problem for the speakers. Additionally, you can get an air blower or a vacuum cleaner.
- Clean your speakers regularly – A natural thing we all know that, if you put something in your room it will get dirty after some days. Bookshelf Speakers are no different. So it needs cleaning. You have to clean them regularly. I see a lot of people use moist cleaners. That’s not good for the speakers because if it reaches to the sensitive parts of the speaker, it can get damaged. Always use dry cotton to clean your speakers. And when you need to clean the sensitive parts of the speaker, you can use the vacuum cleaner with less pressure. That will do the work.
- Don’t keep them close to any metals – Another important thing that most of the people don’t take into consideration is not to put the speakers close to metals that are conducive to magnetism. You can place them on wooden materials. I would say wooden materials are the best. But you also can put them on plastics or other non-magnetic materials as well. Magnets can cause the system to be damaged if you put them close to any magnetic source.
- Read the manual that comes with the speakers – You can also read the manual of the speakers about how they function, how to take care of them, what not to do with them etc. It is a small booklet that you will find inside the pack. Most of the people ignore the booklets as it is boring to read them but, it helps a lot.
Above we have talked about the nine best bookshelf speakers. Now, you could ask which ones are our top picks. Although we liked all nine of them but also want to say that it’s certain that some are obviously better than others.
our first pick would be “Dynaudio Xeo 2” as it is an award winner bookshelf speaker. You can buy this speaker at an affordable price if you compare it with the features it offers. The most fascinating features people want in their speakers are present in Dynaudio Xeo 2. This is your best choice.
But if you are on a very tight budget we would say you pick the no. 6 “ELAC Uni-fi UB5” as it’s the cheapest out of all the speakers we’ve mentioned in this article. we included this specific one with all the other speakers here because this speaker can compete with them in features but still, you have to pay less than them. So this is our second pick.
Finally, if you are not really worried about saving money even from your $1000 budget, you should go for no. 4 “SVS Ultra”. You are going to love this speaker because it offers a lot of fascinating features that people dream of. In terms of durability and functionality, this is your best choice.
Again, no matter which one you choose from this list, you are going to be very happy with the performance of that specific speaker. That’s how we picked these speakers to be listed on here, to help you pick the best bookshelf speaker under $1000.