Last updated on August 20th, 2021
Even if you aren’t a car enthusiast, working on your car can be an enjoyable experience. Car maintenance isn’t as hard as you might think. However, whether you’re a professional or a layman, it’s an absolute must that you have the right equipment. If you aren’t appropriately equipped, it can be hazardous and lead to accidents and serious injuries. A critical part of owning the right equipment are the jack stands. Finding the right jack stand will make your car maintenance a lot easier. There are various options in the market, and it can be tricky to find the right one. After intense research and testing, here is our expert list of the best jack stands in the market.
List of Best Jack Stands
Big Red T43202 Torin Steel Jack Stands
- Constructed with high-grade forged steel
- Adjustable height ranges from 11-1/4 to 16-3/4inches
- Load capacity of 6000lb
- Meets ASME safety standards
Review: These jack stands from Big Red are the best quality jack stands available in the market. They are constructed with high-grade forged steel, and we have no doubts that they’ll last for a long time. The welded frame design further increases the durability. These pair of jack stands can hold up to 3 tons, which equals to about 6000 pounds. This should be more than enough for most cars. We found them very capable of handling various small cars, SUVs and even light-duty trucks. Generally, jack stands come with a tripod design for the feet, but this product from Big Red features four string feet to increase their grip on the floor surface. This allows a wider spread ensuring better stability. The large conclave saddle ensures excellent contact and load support.
They feature an adjustable height ranging from 11-1/4 inches to 16-3/4 inches. One of the stand-outstand-out features of these stands is the ratchet bar height adjuster. It ensures maximum stability even on uneven ground and allows you to achieve the right fit under the car. They are easy to use and convenient; you can use the dual-purpose handle to carry the unit and for saddle column release as well. Despite the premium quality, we love that it also comes with a very affordable price tag. Another great feature is that they meet ASME safety standards. On the downside, the paint on the jack stands tends to come off after some time, which might put off some customers.
- Durable and sturdy
- Easy to use and meets high safety standards
- The paint comes off after some time
Amazon Basics 3 Ton Steel jack Auto Stands
- It comes with a durable steel frame
- Total weight capacity of 6000 pounds
- Comes with a self-locking ratchet
- Meets ASME PASE safety standards
Review: Amazon Basics has been delivering a wide range of excellent products, and these stands are a clear stand-outstand-out. Despite the affordable price tag, they come with a lot of fantastic features. They feature a steel frame, and we’re confident you’ll be using them for a long time. The rust-proof coating further increases the longevity of this product.
When used together, these units can hold up to 6000 pounds, which is suitable for small cars and even some light-duty trucks. The broader base of these units ensures optimal stability, making them ideal if you’re going to repair under your vehicle. We were also delighted by the lightweight and compact design; you can easily carry it from one place to another or store it anywhere in your garage.
In our testing, we were impressed by their performance. Whether it was changing the oil or fixing the tires, we had no issues with the Amazon Basics 3 Ton Steel jack Auto Stands. One of the best features of this pair is the self-locking ratchet system, which is very easy to use. With every click, you can get precise height adjustments for both stands. The height range of these stands is between 12-18 inches. We were also pleased to see that both the pair feature a U-shaped large contact area that offers optimum stability when your car is lifted. Overall, it’s a high-quality, lightweight, and affordable pair of jack stands, but we don’t find them suitable for heavier vehicles.
- Durable and sturdy
- The self-locking ratchet ensures precise height adjustments
- Not ideal for heavier vehicles
Big Red T43002A Torin Steel Jack Stands
- Industrial welded and constructed with heavy-duty steel
- Load capacity of 3 ton
- Comes with a double locking system
- Meets ASME safety standards
Review: Another Amazing product from Big Red with increased safety features. Just like other jack stands from Big Red, this pair is also made with durable and strong forged steel, and the unique welded frame design further increases its durability. They also come with a wide base, which means that they can hold your vehicle even it moves slightly. With a load capacity of about 6000 pounds, it’s more than enough for most scenarios.
In our testing, we were able to lift small cars and SUVs effortlessly with this pair of jack stands. The Big Red T43002A Torin Steel Jack Stands height can be easily adjusted from 11.22 -16.7 inches, which will be enough for most users. It’s very easy to use, and with the dual-purpose handle, you can carry the unit and release the saddle column as well.
In our testing, we were impressed by their performance, and they supported the vehicle very well, never moved, and was very stable. One of the best features of these jack stands is the dual locking system. This system ensures that if the first locking system malfunctions, the second one will hold your car in the air. Thanks to the large saddle area, we found it effortless to place the stands under the vehicle with excellent security. They also meet ASME safety standards and add to that the affordable price tag; it’s a complete value for money. If you’re looking for the best budget jack stands, this product is the best you can get. However, the paint tends to come off after some time, which isn’t a major issue but might turn off some customers.
- Sturdy and durable
- Fantastic locking system
- Great price
- The paint comes off after some time
Powerbuilt 620471 Unijack
- A combination of hydraulic bottle jack and a jack stand
- Height range 11-12 inches
- 3-ton capacity
- Wide base for increased stability
Review: If you’re looking for unijacks, the Powerbuilt 620471 Unijack is one of the most popular units, and it certainly lives up to its hype. It has a very user-friendly design and doesn’t require a lot of assembling; all you need to do is assemble the handle, which isn’t a lot of work. The built is incredibly durable and is much better than what other brands are offering. The unique thing about this product is that it’s a combination of a jack stand and a hydraulic bottle jack; it comes with a safety pin and a saddle, which is mostly found in jack stands, and it includes the primary components of a hydraulic bottle jack such as filler plug, socket, piston assembly and many more. You don’t have to spend your money on a separate jack stand.
The height of this unijack can be adjusted from 11-21 inches, and it also comes with a safety pin to ensure that the stand is stable after the car is lifted. In our testing, it was able to lift effortlessly, and we didn’t notice any movements. This product has a weight capacity of 3 tons (6000 pounds), and it seamlessly lifts regular cars. It can also lift light trucks. One of the stand-outstand-out features of this product is the wide flat base that ensures optimum stability and prevents sinking on soft surfaces such as grassy terrain, soil, or asphalt roads. However, it isn’t a heavy-duty unijack, and we didn’t find it capable of lifting heavier and larger vehicles.
- Very durable
- Easy to use and user-friendly design
- Great stability
- Can’t lift heavy vehicles
Big Red T43004 Jack Stand
- Made of high-grade aluminum
- Adjustable height ranges from 10-3/4 to 15-5/8 inches
- 3-ton (6000lbs) weight capacity
- It comes with a removable base
Review: Big Red is one of the most loved brands, and the T43004 Jack Stands are the best aluminum jack stands in our review. They’re constructed of high-grade aluminum, which is mostly reserved for costlier jack stands, and we found them to be very durable. You don’t need to assemble the units, but it isn’t a lengthy process, and all you need is a screwdriver. These units have an adjustable height ranging from 10-3/4 to 15-5/8 inches, which is suitable for most cases.
They also have a weight capacity of 3 tons (6000 pounds), which is enough to lift regular cars, and they can even lift light trucks. We love the adonized red finish design, and at just 5 pounds, they are easy to carry. The base is also removable, so you can store it anywhere in your garage after usage.
In our testing, we were impressed by its performance. We were able to lift cars easily and securely. The removable locking support pins ensure optimal security and stability and support 6 locking positions; we didn’t notice any movements when the car was lifted. The saddle also features a wide surface area that ensures perfect contact with the carload being supported. One of the best features of these jack stands is the wide base that ensures fantastic stability. We were also delighted that these units meet ASME standards and even comes with a one-year warranty. Overall, it’s an excellent product, but it’s not suitable for usage on uneven surfaces.
- Sturdy and durable
- Attractive design
- Good performance
- Not suitable for usage on uneven surfaces
ESCO 10498 Jack Stand
- All-steel construction
- Supports a height of 13-21 inches
- Unique tripod design for stability on uneven surfaces
- 3-ton (6000 pounds) load capacity
Review: The ESCO 10498 Jack Stand comes with impressive safety and security features. Encompassing an all-steel construction, this jack stand is very sturdy, and we’re sure that it’ll last for a long time. Unlike the standard enamel paint finish, we were delighted to see that this jack stand came with a powder-coated finish that resists rusting. One of the best features of this product is the unique tripod design. An advantage of this design is that they offer outstanding stability even on irregular surfaces. They are quite portable, and you won’t have trouble storing them due to their compact size. This stand from ESCO support height of 13-21 inches and has a weight capacity of 3 ton (6000 pounds) which is standard at this price range.
When we put this product to the test, we were pleased with its performance. It lifted easily and securely, and we didn’t notice any movements. The flat rubber top is one of its stand-outstand-out features, and they perform excellently on unibody cars where it’s challenging to find support points that accept the typical V-shaped jack stand post. The rubber also shields the paint finish from the car when they come in contact. Additionally, the large round feet offer exceptional stability and provide a wide contact area. These features make this product one of the safest jack stands available in the market. This jack stand also performs well on softer surfaces like dirt, asphalt, and wood. However, they struggle with heavier cars and vehicles.
- Robust and well-built
- The unique design offers excellent stability on uneven surfaces
- Portable and easy to use
- Not suitable for heavy vehicles
Sunex 1410 10-Ton Jack Stands
- Constructed with heavy schedule pipe
- Supports a maximum height of 46.5 inches
- Four leg steel bases for durability
- Features a large saddle with locating lugs
Review: If you want a heavy-duty jack stand, you can’t go wrong with this product from Sunex. They are constructed with heavy-duty steel pipe, and they’re one of the sturdiest jack stands we’ve come across. They support a maximum height of 46.5 inches, which should be more than enough in most cases. When it comes to load capacity, they support a whooping 10 tons making them applicable for heavy-duty tasks. They are very easy to use, and we had no issues finding the precise height adjustment and thanks to the sturdy height attachment pins, we experienced no loss in height.
These jack stands perform exceptionally well. In our testing, they were able to lift cars and light trucks without any issues. The large saddle with locating lugs holds the vehicle frame excellently, and we didn’t notice any movements even when the car was held in a high position. Another fantastic feature is the four-leg steel base that offers superb stability and security. The Sunex 1410 10-Ton Jack Stands are suitable for a wide range of equipment, trailers, and trucks. Overall, it’s a fantastic choice, especially if you’re a professional. On the downside, they are quite large in size and might not be suitable if you want something more portable or lightweight.
- Well-built and sturdy
- Fantastic for heavy-duty applications
- Great stability
- Not portable
Tonda 3 Ton Steel Jack Stands
- Comes with a steel frame
- 3-ton (6000lbs) weight capacity
- Height range of 12” to 17-7/10” inches
- Self-locking design for ease of use
Review: If you want jack stands for light day to day work, the Tonda 3 Ton Steel Jack Stands are a fantastic choice. They feature a steel frame with a rust-proof coating, ensuring that they last a long time. They have a height range of 12” to 17-7/10” inches and a weight capacity of 3 ton (6000 lbs), which will be suitable for most cases.
We were able to lift regular cars without any problems. Due to the forger iron self-locking ratchet bar, we were able to find the precise height precisely and easily. You don’t need any locking key; when the handle is up, you can easily adjust the height, and when it’s down, the ratchet secures automatically and tightly.
In our testing, these jack stands performed very well. The Large foot base (8-1/2” by 8-1/2”) of these units offers optimal stability and strength under load. Thanks to this, we were even able to use these jack stands on softer surfaces. Another excellent feature is that the thick and wide top has a concave design to securely hold the car and prevent slipping. Not just that, the Tonda 3 Ton Steel Jack Stands also meets all the ANSI and ASME PAlD 2014 standards, and they’re also backed by a limited 1-year warranty, which is sure to earn customer trust. On the other hand, a drawback of these jack stands is the weight capacity. 3-ton might be suitable for regular cars, but they are certainly not ideal for heavy-duty tasks.
- Great design and built
- Easy to adjust the height
- Great stability
- Not suitable for heavy tasks
Omega 32225B Black Heavy Duty Jack Stands
- Sturdy welded steel construction
- Height range of 13-1/2 inches to 19-2/3 inches
- Large saddle to securely support the weight
- Heavy gauge steel frame to prevent twisting
Review: The Omega 32225B Black Heavy Duty Jack Stands is the best heavy-duty jack stand we’ve come across in our review. They’re molded with heavy-duty hardened steel making them almost indestructible. The stand-out feature of these units is that they support a massive weight capacity of 22 tons. In our testing, they were able to lift cars and trucks easily.
They are suitable for a wide range of vehicles and are ideal for industrial use as well. They support a height range of 13-1/2 inches to 19-2/3 inches. Despite its huge weight capacity, we were also surprised that adjusting the height was easy. We also liked the addition of the convenient handle that makes carrying the units easy.
Because they are heavy-duty jack stands, they feature a pin lock mechanism, which is much safer than the standard ratchet bars. When we put the units to the test, they held the vehicle securely, and there were no movements. The large saddle ensures better contact with the car, and the wide base offers optimal stability. We were impressed to see that even on softer surfaces, this jack stand didn’t sink in. Additionally, they come with a heavy gauge steel frame that effectively prevents twisting. On the downside, these jack stands weigh 40lbs each, which is quite easy, and you might find it difficult to carry it from one place to another.
- Sturdy and durable construction
- Perfect for heavy-duty lifting
- Holds securely with great stability
- Very heavy pair of jack stands
Hein-Weiner HW93503 3 Ton Jack Stand
- Formed steel frame
- Supports a height range of 12-19 inches
- 3-ton weight capacity
- Assembled in the USA
Review: The Hein-Weiner HW93503 3 Ton Jack Stand also made it to our list thanks to its sturdy construction and functionality. This jack stand is assembled in the US with US and global parts, and we were genuinely impressed by its quality. It’s one of the best look jack stands we’ve come across, and with a formed steel frame, it’s incredibly durable and long-lasting. This stand supports a height range of 12-19 inches, which is slightly higher than its competitors. It also has a weight capacity of 3 tons (6000lbs), which is standard, and it’ll have no trouble lifting regular cars and light trucks. It’s quite compact in size, and you won’t have trouble storing it anywhere in your garage.
In our testing, we were impressed with the performance of the Hein-Weiner HW93503 3 Ton Jack Stand. It lifted the car quite easily and held it securely. Even in the highest position, we were impressed to see that there were no movements. For a 3-ton jack stand, this product has a wide base measuring 7.5×9 inches. Thanks to this, this jack stand offers impressive stability under load and doesn’t sink in even on softer surfaces. The legs of this jack stand also folded metal footing to ensure a more evenly spread of weight. Another impressive feature is the wide saddle, which provides optimum grip. However, it comes with a pin-locking system, which is less safe than a ratchet-locking mechanism, which might put off some customers.
- Great design and built
- Wide base for better stability
- Holds vehicles securely
- It doesn’t come with a ratchet locking system
US Jack D-41609 3 Ton Garage Stands
- Constructed with superior steel
- Features a double-lock security system
- Wide base for optimal support
- Made in the USA
Review: If you’re on the hunt for the best American made jack stands, you must get your hands on the US Jack D-41609 3 Ton Garage Stands. It’s constructed with superior steel, and we’re certain that it’ll last for a long time. The design is quite attractive, and unlike other products on the market with mediocre paint, The US Jack D-41609 3 Ton Garage Stands is paint coated with Toyota paint, so you won’t have to worry about the color coming off after a few uses.
They have a weight capacity of 3 tons (6000lbs), which is more than enough for most cases, and they’ll be able to lift regular cars and small trucks without any issues. These jack stands are also 100% made in the US with US parts.
The double lock security system is one of its best features, and during our testing, we didn’t notice any movements when the car was lifted. With the iron load bar, we were able to achieve precise adjustments, and the wide base of the stands ensures optimal stability. We also love the addition of the self-locking system that locks the stand in place automatically; you’ll have peace of mind when using these jack stands. They are also backed by a 1-year warranty. However, we don’t find them appropriate for heavy-duty vehicles.
- Sturdy and excellent design
- Secures tightly and prevents movements
- The wide base offers great stability
- Not suitable for heavy vehicles
Jack Stand Buying Guide
Through our years of experience using and reviewing jack stands, we know first-hand that some features are more important than others. When we put the jack stands to test, we focused on these features, and you should too when you purchase your unit.
- Weight Capacity: This is perhaps the most crucial feature while buying jack stands. Don’t invest your money on a unit if you’re going to be maxing out their load capacity, as it’ll just create instability. Jack stands come with a weight capacity ranging from 2-20 tons. When you purchase a set of jack stands, the weight listed generally refers to the total weight that the pair can support when used together. Make sure that you purchase a jack stand that can comfortably support your vehicle.
- Lifting Height: This is another critical feature. Jack stands are available in a broad range of lifting heights. Make sure that your stand is tall enough to lift your car off the surface. If you own a low to the ground vehicle, you wouldn’t need a tall jack stand as tall as you would with a truck or a large jeep. When you purchase your unit, focus on the height range for adjustability information. If the lifting height isn’t enough, you’ll just end up losing your hard-earned money.
- Build-Quality: Durability is another feature you must focus on. All jack stands aren’t built the same. For this, make sure that they are constructed with durable and sturdy materials and possess corrosion-resistant capabilities. Pay attention to the paint job as well; many units paint comes off after a few months. If you have to spend a little extra for a more durable jack stand, we highly recommended that you do. This will prevent you from having to routinely buy jack stands, which will, in turn, cost you more in the long run.
- Lock-System: If your jack stand doesn’t come with a proper locking mechanism, it can be dangerous to work with them. Jack stands feature numerous types of locking systems. The ratchet/lever locking mechanism is the most common. However, some jack stands also come with a pin-in-hole system. Of the two, pin locks are typically more secure and safer, but the ratchet/level style is also perfectly usable.
- Brand: A reputed and well-known brand will generally offer better quality products than an unknown brand. It’s a complete misconception that popular brands offer only expensive products. Most brands offer products covering a broad spectrum of price ranges. To be on the safer side of things, it’s better that you go for an established brand. All the brands mentioned on our list are genuine and trusted by millions of customers.
How To Properly Use A Jack Stand
- When you need to work underneath your car, a jack stand is indispensable. However, you must use them correctly and safely to prevent any untoward incidents:
- Firstly, make sure that you find a level ground to park your car. For this, a flat driveway or garage will be the perfect spot.
- Place the jack stands underneath your vehicle’s pinch points. They are positioned on your vehicle’s sides, in front of the rear tires, or behind the front tires. If your vehicle doesn’t have pinch points, set the stand underneath your vehicle’s frame.
- After that, adjust the height according to your requirements. After you’ve changed the height, insert the safety pin through the hole to secure it. However, some stands don’t need to be adjusted. Skip this step if your stand doesn’t require adjustments.
- Next, gradually lower your car onto the stand. Turn your jack stands level counter-clockwise to drop your car back down. After that, give your car a small nudge to check whether it moves or not. If it does, place the stand in a new spot and recheck it.
- You can place additional stands to lift your car entirely off the surface. You must ensure that the stands on both sides of your vehicle are of the same height and straight across from each other so that you can work underneath securely. Finally, you can start working underneath your car.
Jack Stands Weight Ratings
Are you trying to figure out how the weight rating of jack stands work? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Generally, an average car weighs about 4000 pounds (this is the total weight if you lift it to the air and place it on a scale). The most common weight capacity for jack stands is the 3-ton version. 1 ton equals 2000 pounds, so a 3-ton jack stand can hold a max weight of 6000 pounds. This means that if your car weighs about 4000 pounds, you’ll have an extra 2000-pound weighing capacity if you use a 3-ton jack stand. A 3-ton jack stand will work fine for regular trucks, mini-vans, or small trucks. However, for heavier vehicles, you must get a jack stand with a much heavier weight capacity.
However, we strictly don’t recommend you to push the jack’s weight capacity to the limit as it can cause instability. Always make sure that there is excess weight capacity left after your car has been placed. After you’ve figured out the weight rating for your vehicle, you must focus on purchasing a quality set of jack stands. If you buy cheap, there are higher chances for defects.
Are Jack Stands Safe?
Yes, jack stands are safe, and in fact, they increase security and safety when you need to work underneath your car. They offer a secure and fixed support for a lifted car. After you’ve raised your vehicle, use a pair of jack stands, and you’ll significantly decrease the likelihood of your vehicle falling onto you and causing injuries and even death. Pay attention to the locking mechanism and ensure that they secure tightly. Also, make sure that your car doesn’t move when it’s lifted. Simply jack up your car and lower it onto your stands. If you need to lift only one end of your car, you’ll need only a pair of jacks. However, if you want to keep your car entirely off the floor, you’ll need to use four jack stands.
Safety Tips for Jack Stands
To prevent any untoward incidents, you must take certain precautions while using jack stands. Here are some safety tips for using jack stands:
- Before you start using your jack stand, always read its user manual thoroughly, especially where to place and where not to place. If you’ve lost your user manual, check the official website for the digital version.
- Always use your jack stands on level ground. Most jack stands don’t function optimally when they’re placed on an uneven surface, and if there’s even a slight slope, one half of your car can roll off the place when the tires are lifted.
- We highly recommend you to work on your car with someone else whenever possible, whether it’s your friend or a family member. They can help hand you your tools, and they might even notice something that you didn’t. In case something goes wrong, they’ll be able to help you out or at least call for help.
- Even a slight roll could shift your car’s underside off the jack stand or a floor jack, which can have deadly consequences. As such, place wheel chocks to prevent this from happening.
- If you’re going to lift all four wheels, complete the half of your vehicle that you started on first, whether it’s the front or back. After half of your vehicle is in the air, you don’t need to bother with wheel chocks.
- Give your vehicle a few nudges to verify that your jack stands are in place and secure. Your stand must be able to hold your vehicle in the air indefinitely.
Jack Stand FAQ’s
You might still have some questions regarding jack stands. Here are some frequently asked questions about them:
Yes, you should be able to leave your vehicle on jack stands overnight. In fact, jack stands are capable of holding your car for months on end.
If your jack stands are in proper shape and are used properly, the likelihood of them failing is minuscule. Always make sure that your car is secured and that there are no movements.
That depends on how you’ll be working. If you need to work on only one side of your car, you’ll need only a pair of jack stands. However, if you need to lift your car entirely off the ground, then you’ll need four jack stands. If you need to work on only one side, make sure that you use wheel chocks.
Jack stands come in a variety of heights. They can be as low as 13 inches and as high as 72 inches. The amount of height support you need will depend on your vehicle.
This brings us to the end of our list for the best jack stands that your money can buy. All the items mentioned above made it onto our list after in-depth research and personal use. Regardless of which one you go for, you won’t be disappointed. It all depends on your requirements and budget. However, if we had to choose the best one, we’ll have to go for the Big Red T43202 Torin Steel Jack Stands thanks to its durability, functionality, and great price. You’ll be hard-pressed to find jack stands as good as these in the market.
On the other hand, if you want a more affordable option without compromising quality, you can go for the Big Red T43002A Torin Steel Jack Stands. They have a great build, perform well, and comes under an affordable price tag. If you want a unit for heavy-duty tasks, the Omega 32225B Black Heavy-Duty Jack Stands with a weight capacity of 22 tons can lift virtually any car you might have. If you specifically want jack stands with aluminum construction, the Big Red T43004 Jack Stand won’t let you down, thanks to its sturdy and durable aluminum build. Whenever you use jack stands, ensure that they are secured tightly and take all necessary precautions.
And don’t forget to ask us if you need to know some more information about jack stands. write your questions in the comment section below. we’ll try to answer your questions ASAP. Thanks!